CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:38:09 -0500
7bit
From:
Vitaly Boyko <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Lily,

this pair does not work well, as R.Tsien's people added the GFP-derived
peptides to both N- and C-terminus of the mCherry.

It looked like they were struggling with something like solubility of the
protein.

However, if you remove the N-terminal peptide including the Met10 within the
fusions with the the C-terminus of the protein of ineterest, then the
monomeric YFP (F64L, A206K, L221K, F223R) would be a great donor and the
"truncated" mCherry a reasonable acceptor (it is very unlikely that is
monomeric in vivo, though I see less aggregation with a number of protein
fusions in comparison to mRFP1 - a true dimer/oligomer in vivo!!! or to mYFP
mentioned above). Make sure you have a relatively long Gly-rich flexible
"natural" hinge, let say of SV40 origin - it is known among the older
generation of crystalographers at Scripps.

Good luck,

Vitaly

301-846-6575