CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:35:09 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Judy Trogadis <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, George

We could also use house elves who watch and report . . . . . sorry,
Harry Potter on my mind.

I already do what you suggest - run a simple script, and users logon to
the pseudoscreen, well hidden. Logon/off, user, identified and written
to a text file. But this does not work for some of the microscope
systems where there is no single program which launches the entire
application, or at least, none that I can find. I would like to find a
single generic tracking system for all.

I have already received some useful suggestions, alternatives to try.
Thanks,
Judy

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/23/07 1:34 PM >>>

Nice idea, Gisele, but...back to business...

We use SecurDesk from CursorArts (http://www.cursorarts.com).  The
application runs as a shell interface with a pseudoscreen. I configured
few buttons that limit the accessibility of programs to LaserSharp
2000
(Bio-Rad MRC 1024), NT Explorer, CD burning application, NOT Internet
Explorer or email applications.  Users log on to the shell.  SecurDesk
keeps
a log of User, Date, Time on, Time Off and Application used.  The log
can be
exported into a text file that is easily imported into Excel or
Filemaker
Pro, which is what we use for billing.  The log output can be sorted
include specific time periods, user, or application.  We only charge
for use
of the LaserSharp application.  SecurDesk has worked VERY reliably for
us
for several years.  I remember that the academic price was less than
$100,
but that was several years ago.  No commercial interest in
CursorArts...just
a satisfied customer.

All the best,

George

George Ring, Ph.D.
Dept. of Cell and Developmental Biology
SUNY Upstate Medical University
750 E. Adams St.
Syracuse NY  13210
Tel. (315) 464-8595
FAX (315) 464-8535
email: [log in to unmask]

>>> Gisele Eliane Giorgi <[log in to unmask]> 7/23/07 5:30:18 AM >>>

I think a retinal scan (via the oculars) would be appropriate:  look
in their eyes while they look into the scope!
GG