CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:57:43 +0200
From:
Arne seitz <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Kathy,

in the facility here at EMBL we have one spinning disk microscope equipped
with an ORCA-ER and another one with a Hamamatsu EMCCD camera. When users
switched from the system with the conventional CCD camera to the system with
the EMCCD camera we often got complaints regarding the image quality. Reason
is the higher camera noise of the EMCCD camera which is noticeable
especially if the EM gain is increased.
Since you don't want to image very fast I personally don't see a reason why
you should use an EMCCD camera. A back thinned CCD camera should better fit
your needs.
But please keep in mind that this is rather theoretical and I always prefer
to practically test equipment. Why not getting two cameras for testing (e.g.
an EMCCD and a conventional one) and see which one performs better with your
sample (and also which one is better to keep your cells happy).

Regards
Arne

Arne Seitz, Scientific Officer
Advanced Light Microscopy Facility