CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:33:34 +0200

Dear Stephen and Shalin,

I have used BioFolie in combination with a special Zeiss 1.2 NA water
lens w/o coverglass correction and with various dipping lenses. The main
advantage here was to gain the 170micron working distance (minus
30micron thickness of the transparent film) which was otherwise taken by
the coverglass.
A colleague at Toulouse Univ uses BioFolie to investigate the
cytosceleton dynamics using GFP labeled probes during Arabidopsis root
growth. It seems like the roots love to grow in between an agar pad and
BioFolie and can nicely be imaged this way.

Because there is little choice of high NA lenses without coverglass
correction, I would tend towards plastic materials with refractive
indices closer to glass like the earlier mentioned products by ibidi. On
top of good optical quality and permeabiliy for gases, those also
feature different surface treatments to improve cell adhesion
(ibi-treat, polylysine etc).

No commercial interests.

regards, jens

---
Dr. Jens Rietdorf
Head Microscopy
Novartis Research Foundation
Friedrich-Miescher-Institute, wro1066.2.32
Maulbeerstr.66, CH-4058 Basel, Switzerland
phone +41(61)69-75172 mobil +41 798284737
Email:[log in to unmask]