CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:11:38 +1000

One needs to be clear that there are two types of
solid-state laser.  Diode lasers have typically a
relatively (in laser terms) broad range of wavelengths
and often a rather non-circular beam profile. This
means that a clean-up filter can often be useful.
They typically offer wavelengths between about 380nm
and 480nm and then from about 640nm on down.  There
are great wavelengths there for CFP but not YFP.

DPSS (diode pumped solid state lasers) are crystal
lasers which are pumped by diode lasers.  The ones
which are useful to us are frequency-doubled to
give emission between 488nm and 561nm.  These give
very sharp, defined wavelengths just like gas lasers.

Both types have great advantages over gas lasers in
terms of heat load, avoidance of vibration, and at
least in principle in life.

                                           Guy

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox
Electron Microscope Unit,

Phone:+61 2 9351 3176    Fax:+61 2 9351 7682
http://www.guycox.net