CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

From:
Kurt Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:52:11 -0700

Hi Kathy -

I think the best way to see if your fluorophores are saturated is just
to do the experiment.  If you have some way of attenuating your light
source (ND filter is best, but you could probably just close down the
aperture diaphragm) you can plot fluorescence intensity vs. excitation
intensity and see if it saturates or not.

My experience with conventional arc lamps in widefield microscopy is
that the light intensities are at least 20-fold below saturation for
dyes like GFP so I would guess that you're unlikely to be at saturation
unless the microlenses are really good at increasing the excitation
power at the illumination point.  But I think you're best off doing the
experiment.

Kurt

--
Kurt Thorn, PhD