CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

From:
Eli Rothenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:00:13 -0500

You're basically right, though you must have a control, that
you know it to have a single fluorophore labeling.

If you're working with a multiple labeled sample,
and if you're S/N is good enough for single molecule
detection, than photobleaching steps are expected, since
photobleaching events are not correlated. When
you look at a few traces that show a step like behavior,
the average Intensity count of a step (the steps should yield
a similar counts difference, since each results from a single fluorophore) would be the count of a single molecule
fluorescence.
If your background is too high and your doing epi, consider switching to TIR.

Eli