CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:07:33 +1000

Shalin,

	Most color cameras have a mosaic in front of the
CCD so each pixel sees just one color.  Then an algorithm
is used to assign colors so that the final image does
have its full pixel count.  A better, but slower,
alternative is a filter-wheel in front of the camera.
The best is a 3-chip camera but these are very expensive
and difficult to make so they're quite rare.

	Problems with color cameras is that they often
will not show the fluorescence as it appears to the eye.
Violet fluorescence, for example, will appear blue.  If
there is substantial infrared fluorescence it will appear
pretty much random in color depending on the IR transmission
of the filters, so an IR filter is useful (particularly if
chlorophyll is present).  But in the end a monochrome camera
with optimised barrier filters is the best way to go.

						Guy

--

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis