CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

From:
winnok ugent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:07:35 +0200

Dear all

Thank you for your replies.
I had also thought of using deconvolved images as noise free images
(estimation of original), but decided not to since the deconvolution
'erodes' objects by the PSF, hence causing objects to be smaller and have
different intensities. It might be possible to normalize the latter, but I
fear the shape adjustment will cause a bias in noise calculation.
It seems the best way must be to use the relation of the detector gain (CCD
or PMT) with the photon flux.
But as I want to compare with the synthetic images which are independent of
detector characteristics, I would prefer a way to directly compare the
images purely from image variables.
A variance estimation over small neighbourhoods throughout the image might
roughly give an idea of noise, but then again might be skewed by border
regions?

Winnok

______
ir. Winnok De Vos