CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2007

Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:50:11 -0400
Sender:
From:
Stéphane Pagès <[log in to unmask]>

Dear List,

I wonder about the exact definition of working distance. As I
understood, in the case were the objective is not corrected for
coverslip, this distance is the between the front of the objective and
the specimen to be imaged.
In the case were I use a a coverslip corrected objective, what does it
mean?. For example I use a 63X water objective from Olympus with a
working distance of 300 um. The coverslip thickness is 150 um. What is
the effective distance between the front of the objective and the
specimen ?? 300 um ??? Here
www.microscopyu.com/articles/ formulas/formulasworkingparfocal.htm
I saw that the distance is between the objective and the upper side of
the coverslip ??
I don t know if I misunderstood something or not

Thanks, Stephane
--
Stéphane Pages PhD
Neurobiologie cellulaire