CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:42:13 +0100
From:
Friedrich Johenning <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Dear Benedikt,
I used a custom-built (not the Leica-Product) resonant scanner and a
spinning-disc confocal with a fast CCD camera for calcium imaging in
dendrites and spines of patched neurons in acute brain slices. Although
we never systematically quantified signal to noise ratio vs.
phototoxicity, from my own experience it seems that the spinning disc
confocal is better when it comes to photodamage. The reason is that
resonant scanners have a very short pixel dwell time, which you have to
compensate for by illumination intensity, whereas the spinning disc
uses a parallel scan which permits for longer exposures repeated
several times during one illumination frame. Wang et al., Journal of
Microscopy, 2005 is a very nice study where the difference between
parallel scanning and single-point scanning is thoroughly analysed.
When dealing with large fluorescent volumes, spinning disc confocals
have the problem of crosstalk between adjacent channels, but this
dependes on the type of preparation you use. A disadvantage of the
spinning disc is that it only has one pinhole size which limits the
objectives you can use. Maybe you should also look into the visitec
infinity 3 scanner if you want parallel scanning with different pinhole
sizes.
Best,
Friedrich

Dr. Friedrich W. Johenning