CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:04:10 +1100

I'm sure you are right about the Bio-Rad in
principle, but it wasn't the well-known MRC
500, but the very different SOM 100.  In fact
so far as I can find out the first microscope
advertised for sale was by Oxford Optoelectronics
but I believe that before the first one was
delivered the design had been taken over by a company
called Dubilier, who were thus the first to actually
sell one.  Dubilier was then bought by Polaron
who in turn were taken over by Bio-Rad.

The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a
He-Ne laser and was intended for reflection imaging,
so it found little use in biology.  Bio-Rad soon
dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design, which
had biological imaging as its first priority.  This
caused some grief to the Oxford team who had developed
the SOM - and just to rub salt into the wound it was
a design from Cambridge which supplanted it!

                                              Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net