CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
Csucs Gabor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:50:58 +0100

Dear Charles,

We do a lot of live cell imaging (also for longer period ~72 hours). Our
experience showed that the box type incubators work better for this type
of experiments. They clearly need a longer equilibration time (you need
to switch them on 1-2 hours before your experiments), but afterwards
offer superior stability. If you have a "decent" microscope, the focus
drift over 24 hours is around the 0.5 micron. I need to mention, that we
have air-conditioning in our rooms which is also advantageous in order
to stabilize the conditions. (Simply speaking - it is also essential....)
Of course if for any reason you need to change the temperature in a fast
manner - you shouldn't take these. We have three different incubators in
our facility (Solent Scientific, the "Ludin-box and cube" from LIS, and
incubators from the EMBL Heidelberg). All of these work fine in our
hand, but there are considerable price differences (especially if you
need also CO2 control). The Oko-lab system is quite similar to these so
probabyl it will also do the job. If you have auto-focus (hardware) on
your system, then you can choose almost anything - we have done
experiments even with a slightly modified hair-dryer.

I have no commercial interest in any of the above mentioned products.

Cheers    Gabor

--
Gabor Csucs
Light Microscopy Centre, ETH Zurich