CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
Stephen Bunnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:10:10 -0500

Dear Xinyu,

    We have had good luck with that combination, as well as
mCerulean/mYFP/mCherry and mCerulean/mYFP/mStrawberry. Both of the latter
sets work well on our fixed dichroic Ultraview spinning disk system, which
has a custom built quad-pass dichroic that we acquired from Chroma. We have
no detectable bleedthough between these three channels using 442/514/568 nm
laser lines for excitation. By the book, Cherry looks like it should be
brighter and more stable, but Strawberry 'fits' our existing filter sets
(based on DsRed) much better.

    I had expected that mVenus should be much better that YFP, but in my
hands (and filter sets) it did not offer any significant advantages. It
actually bleached _faster_ than mYFP under constant 514nm illumination.

    Best regards,

    -Steve

Stephen C. Bunnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor