CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Dale Callaham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:57:41 -0500

This is just a general comment about the laser power supply electronics.
To keep sizes small, modern power supply components are worked fairly
hard; most use switchmode power conversion technology and the capacitors
run a very high ripple current. All electronics have a lifetime that is
dependent on the conditions of use and these components are probably run
at good design parameters but still operate at elevated temps and are
probably "tired". With aging, the Equivalent Series Resistance of the
capcitors increases and the ripple voltage increases. What I am saying
then is that it may operate the laser if you keep the old one, but the
performance is likely dropping off or may do so in the near future. From
the company perspective it is more likely to give good performance and
happy customers if they are cycled at the same time.

I can't comment on the error messages. I would trust Zeiss since they
know these messages. Our Zeiss service has been very good with getting
the correct parts first time based on the system messages and symptoms.

I have no association with any commercial interests.

Dale Callaham