CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
"S. Brunet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:44:13 -0600

Hello:

I used to have a tripled Yag pumped dye laser.  I forget if they put a 1/4
waveplate or a 1/2 waveplate to prevent reflections from affecting the laser
between the dye laser and the Yag.  The reflections do enter the laser but the
polarization rotation prevents interaction.  If you put a 1/2 waveplate, that
will rotate the polarization of the laser beam entering you microscpe, so you
will have to account for that.  Ensure that the waveplate can handle the laser
power involved.

Also, my Mira can loose modelock when I use my harmonic generator with a 'dull
surface' crystal.  The reflections from the crystals are the problem.  The new
crystals do not do this.

Input windows with a wedge or off-axis windows are sometimes used to redirect
reflections.

You might want to see what causes the reflection(s) first.

Good luck!
Sophie

Sophie M. K. Brunet, Ph. D.
Research Officer
Optical Spectroscopy, Laser Systems and Applications
Chemistry 112 sessional lecturer
306-966-1719 (office)   306-966-1702 (fax)
Saskatchewan Structural Sciences Centre
University of Saskatchewan
Thorvaldson Bldg.
110 Science Place