CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
"MODEL, MICHAEL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:59:56 -0400

I only have an opinion on your question #4. There are a few important
differences between the amplifier gain and the voltage. 1) With voltage
you can vary sensitivity in a much wider range, since sensitivity
depends on V nonlinearly (as a power function) 2) Voltage doesn't affect
the background, the gain does. 3) Not all confocal systems allow gain
control (I think Leica doesn't, at least some models). 4) It seems to me
that S/N gets much worse with voltage increase than with the gain
increase.

Michael Model, Ph.D.
Confocal Microscopy Core
Dpt. Biological Sciences