CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:50:58 -0500
7bit
From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>

David Stuss wrote:

> I'm interested in tracing full dendritic arbors of single
> dye-injected cortical neurons (in PFA-fixed mouse brain) and hence
> require sections 200-300 um thick. My aim, if at all possible, would be
> to differentiate cell subtypes by immunolabeling deep in the tissue
> slice, either to identify previously dye-filled neurons, or to identify
> neurons for tracing.

Dear David--

What you want to do may be trivial or it may be impossible: in my
experience it depends largely on the particular primary antibody.  Some
antibodies penetrate easily through tissue; others penetrate almost not
at all.  Try yours and see what happens.

Running your tissue through a freeze-thaw cycle will help penetration,
as will use of detergent in at least some cases.

In my experience, fluorophore-labeled streptavidin penetrates tissue
very easily, thus labeling a neuron filled with (say) Neurobiotin or
biocytin should be easy.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, PhD 	   (612) 626 0145 (office)
Associate Professor	      (612) 624 2991 (lab)