CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

Sender:
From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 00:20:17 +0200

Listers,

I strongly recommend to look back 10 years, there was a threat on the
confocal listserver mentioning this article:

Contrast, resolution, pixelation, dynamic range and signal-to-noise :
fundamental limits to resolution in fluorescence light microscopy -
E.H.K. Stelzer - J. Microscopy (1998) 189 : 15-24.

Basically, to meet the Rayleigh criterion under even moderate noise
conditions you need at least 8 samples to achieve the required contrast
to distinguish the peaks of 2 neighbouring Airy patterns. Translated for
the objective and lambda mentioned (1.3NA, 532nm ex.) this results in a
pixelsize of about 58nm(!). The Nyquist calculator from SVI even returns
51nm as the required pixel size.

Overall, in my opinion, the pinhole does not improve lateral resolution
at all under the conditions encountered in imaging of fluorescently
labeled biomaterials.

Cheers, jens

***Join the elmi meeting! Extended application deadline 14.4.08. More
info: http://elmi08.unibas.ch/index.html ***