CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:19:14 +0200
8bit
From:
Michael Weber <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

afaik one can combine the white laser with the standard laser module.
Don't ask me about the details, but this offers possibilities if one needs
more power for bleaching, or additional wavelengths next to 470-670nm.

There are some fundamental differences between SP5 and LSM710:

-SP5: white laser, AOBS, STED

-LSM710: option for two scanners, simultaneous spectral detection

Yes, the SP5 detectors are water-cooled. The performance in terms of
signal-to-noise is really nice. But so far I have no comparison to LSM710
(Zeiss claims it's MUCH better than LSM510...).

Personally I found the SP5 to be more user-friendly compared to the LSM510
(straight forward layout and usage); whereas the Zeiss (LSM510) feels more
"scientific" (more values/details given, more complex hardware). Usage on
software-level should be now easier with the Zeiss ZEN software,
unfortunately the first version introduced some instabilities.

Both systems offer fast scanners, which might be interesting for fixed
samples as well (more time-efficient imaging of big/thick samples). Both
systems have single pinholes, so colocalization in the visible range
should not be that tricky. I am still not sure about the laser coupling of
LSM710 - this is now done in the scanhead after the fiber, so how do they
deal with the alignment over multiple wavelengths?

The implementation of the Hamamatsu detector in the old Meta was not
perfect (low sensitivity and signal-to-noise), however, with bright
samples still the second-fastest solution after Nikon. One needs to test
if the new version in the LSM710 does perform better. The beam-path looks
promising.

Michael