CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:42:37 -0400
From:
"MODEL, MICHAEL" <[log in to unmask]>

Not 0.3 but 1/3 of course

-----Original Message-----
From: Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Judy Trogadis
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 11:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: image processing

I have a simple question, related to an annoying problem.

I have an image of a multilabelled fluorescent specimen, displayed as a
merged RGB image. I would like to analyze just the red channel, so I
split the channels and obtain B & W images of the individual component.
They all look as bright as the original.

However, if I only have a single red image and would like to convert it
to a B & W image (change mode RGB to grey), for 8-bit analysis in
ImageJ, for example, the resulting image is very dull and fainter.
Furthermore, this effect is much more dramatic with a red image than
with a green image.

What is happening?
Thanks,
Judy