CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:06:39 -0400
From:
Gudrun Ihrke <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:

Hi Judy,

Make sure you treat your red image just the same as any merged image:
start with an RGB image (not indexed color) and work with a single
channel rather than converting the image mode from RGB to grey.

Good luck,
Gudrun

On Apr 7, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Judy Trogadis wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I have a simple question, related to an annoying problem.
>
> I have an image of a multilabelled fluorescent specimen, displayed as
> a merged RGB image. I would like to analyze just the red channel, so I
> split the channels and obtain B & W images of the individual
> component. They all look as bright as the original.
>
> However, if I only have a single red image and would like to convert
> it to a B & W image (change mode RGB to grey), for 8-bit analysis in
> ImageJ, for example, the resulting image is very dull and fainter.
> Furthermore, this effect is much more dramatic with a red image than
> with a green image.
>
> What is happening?
> Thanks,
> Judy
>

> Judy Trogadis
> Bio-Imaging Coordinator
> St. Michael's Hospital, 7Queen
> 30 Bond St.
> Toronto, ON M5B 1W8, Canada
> ph:  416-864-6060  x6337
> pager: 416-685-9219
> fax: 416-864-6043

Gudrun Ihrke, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Department of Pharmacology (C2025)
Uniformed Services University School of Medicine
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814

phone office:  	(301) 295 3225
phone lab:	(301) 295 3221