CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:41:39 +1100
From:

The resolution, assuming the BFP of the objective is
filled (not always the case) will be given in fluorescence
by the Rayleigh formula r = 0.5lambda/NA.  This applies
to widefield or scanned microscopy.  With a very small
pinhole there is an additional 'confocal' resolution
improvement of 1.414 (root 2) (r confocal = r wf / 1.414).
The full improvement will only be given by an infinitely
small pinhole ... For some examples of finite sized
pinholes see Guy Cox & Colin Sheppard, 2004.  Practical
limits of resolution in confocal and non-linear microscopy.
Microscopy Research & Technique, 63, 18-22	.

In practice you can get some lateral resolution improvement
in reflection mode but you won't get much, if any, in
fluorescence.  So when you open your pinhole you are not
really losing lateral resolution.  You are losing depth
resolution quite substantially.  There really shouldn't be
any reason to open the pinhole above 1 Airy unit since (unless
the system is misaligned) that will let through all the in
focus light.  After that you're just letting in out of
focus light.

                                              Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net