CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:47:44 -0700

Zeiss and Olympus are nearly interchangeable according to Zeiss
documentation.  The major issues are focal lengths of the tube lenses
and lateral chromatic aberration. Olympus  fully corrects in the lens
and Zeiss corrects for with the intermediate lens.  A Zeiss 25X/.8 MI
lens on an Olympus confocal gave good results when zoomed 2X to avoid
the lateral aberrations.  The threads matched.  However, if the Zeiss
tube lens is over-correcting and Olympus lens it may be a question of
testing on multi-color beads.  If the effect is at the margins of the
field and you can live with a bit of zoom then if may work.  The mag
will about 9% larger due to the difference in f-tube, giving a slight
darker image.

Regards,
Glen
Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156

******
The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******