CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2008

From:
Kevin Hodgson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:22:17 -0700

Hi Dries;

I'm  not sure of the current state of the art of QD coatings, but we
found that phagocytosis of QD's, even when coated with PEG's, occurred
to some degree or another. We were able to take advantage of this
property, as the rates of systemic clearance of Q-Tracker dots, used
as an agioscopic dye, differed and depended upon the health of the
animal subject. Our realization was that "benign" QD's will be
endocytozed (a good thing for our analysis)... it's just a matter of
time.

There are two articles that may interest you in the Nov-Dec 2007 issue
of Biomedical Optics:

Endotoxemia increases the clearance of mPEGylated 5000-MW quantum dots
as revealed by multiphoton microvascular imaging
Bateman, et al
J. Biomed. Opt. Vol. 12, 064005 (Dec. 18, 2007)

Core-shell silica nanoparticles as fluorescent labels for nanomedicine
Jinhyang Choi, et al
J. Biomed. Opt. Vol. 12, 064007 (Dec. 28, 2007)

Hope this helps,

Kevin

On 17-Jun-08, at 7:07 AM, Dries Vercauteren wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>
> Dear all,
>
> an easy question;
>
> are free (unconjugated) Quantum Dots normally not taken up via
> endocytosis? Or is this dependent on charge, avidin coating, ...?
>
> Thanks for the response in advance!
>
> Dries
>
> --
> Dries Vercauteren, PhD student
> Master of Bioscience Engineering: Cell and Gene Biotechnology
>
> Ghent Research Group on Nanomedicines
> www.ugent.be/fw/en/research/biofys
> Faculty of pharmaceutical sciences, Ghent University
> Harelbekestraat 72, 9000 Ghent
> Belgium
>
> Phone: +329/264 80 49
> Mobile: +32485/30 69 80