CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

Sender:
From:
Maria Mazzillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:25:39 -0400

I am a PhD student at Auburn University just getting started into my thesis work.  I am
looking for a reliable method for quantifying fluorescence.

My project deals with marine dinoflagellates (zooxanthellae) that reside intracellularly in
hosts (usually cnidarians).  I am working with cultures or isolates of only the dinoflagellates
for my confocal work.  I have an antibody that was created against the surface secretions
of mucilage (secreted as part of a daily cycle by the alga) from one strain of zooxanthellae.
I am attempting to use this antibody to label various strains to identify differences in
mucilage between them.  Thus far, I have seen that the strain the antibody was created
against labels around the cell fairly brightly.  Most samples either show this or a complete
lack of labeling.  However, a few samples show a faint fluorescence lifted off the cell
surface.  I would like to be able to quantify this fluorescence in comparison to either the
control strain that the antibody was created against or against a known fluorescence.

Any help on ideas for this, or places to look for ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maria Mazzillo