CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

Sender:
From:
"Robert J. Palmer Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:19:07 -0400

Let's say that your reanalysis shows the original conclusions to be
nonsense.  Are you then finished and happy in your knowledge of the
truth?  Or do you write to the authors and demand a retraction under
threat of revealing your reinterpretation?  Or make announcements at
meetings?  Or e-mail colleagues?

Only the first of those alternatives sounds to me like it is NOT a
big fuss.  If you consider your area of research to negatively
impacted by published nonsense, then I assume that you are collecting
data that might refute the authors' conclusions.  Otherwise, as you
correctly note, the refutation of those data is too peripheral for
your time and effort.  Good science is rarely efficient and quick
science is even less so.

The process of science, regardless of data type, has been set for
some time.  Discuss the presented data, and the methods used to
obtain them, in public and allow the authors to defend their data
based on response to your opinions (e.g., a journal letter).  The
exception to this approach involves gross aberrations such as we have
seen with recent high-profile stem cell research.  That particular
incident indeed led to the red-faced admission by the journal that
the images were so clearly manipulated that experienced reviewers (of
which few exist for even those trivial images let alone advanced
image data) should have caught this "mistake", and that only AFTER
the original images were examined!  So ask the journal to do the work
that is, in fact, their responsibility, not yours.

Unless I felt that an outright intent to deceive exists, I would
leave the data alone and concentrate  on why the end interpretation
is unlikely to be correct.  Clearly if the interpretation is
incorrect/controversial, then other lines of data must exist to
refute or confirm the authors' interpretation.  I would hope that no
scientist publishes controversial work based solely in image data.

I have the feeling that we are very close to being told to take this
discussion elsewhere, or to cut to the chase.  I am sure that you and
Dan White have a specific example or two in mind and could provide
the citations with a brief description of what is wrong. Then those
who have experience in the matter could also comment here.  But I
guess public revelation, as I have been supporting, would be
premature without prior reanalysis?