CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:19:41 +0200
7bit
From:
Eric Scarfone <[log in to unmask]>

Hello

Actually, the last sentence in Julio's post (see bellow) is perfectly
in line with what we are confronted with daily as scientists.

It is extremely hard to put aside preconceptions. Hence there are many
evidences of the fact that it is easier to make people believe in fake
facts that go along the main stream than in true facts that go against
it. Unfortunately lots of those "evidences" are published.

This goes beyond purposedly fraudulous manipulation since
experimentators often convince themselves of the veracity of what they
think they've seen when it matches with their idea of what they think
they "should" see!

Hence I once saw a colleague patiently pasting out of her images what
she had deemed as artefacts. I pointed out to her that for an artefact
this was strangely repetitive (ie each cell contained the "artefact"
in approximately the same location). She repeated the experiment and
ended up publishing the observation as a possible new structure.

New techniques make the job of manipulators very easy and this must be
fought against by stringent reinforcement of verifications or every
published pictures whether in science or elsewhere (news but think
also advertising for exemple). Manipulation of images should clearly
be stated and methods to detect them should be inplemented, access to
original data should be warranted etc.... I believe we as a profession
should put pressure on software developers so that image manipulation
is automatically signalled, perhaps not even knowingly to the
experimentator. Every signalled image that is attempted to be
published would call for extra care in the part of the reviewers and
details of manipulation as well as originall data sets would be asked
for... or something like that!

Eric

>>And how about all the fuss being made about the pictures, in the
absence of any clear evidence as to which of the two versions
is "true"? What does that tell about us? That we can choose to believe
whatever version is presented to us, as long as it fits with our own
preconceptions, without regard for reality?<<

Eric Scarfone, PhD, CNRS,
Center for Hearing and communication Research
Department of Clinical Neuroscience
Karolinska Institutet

Postal Address:
CFH, M1:02