CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:15:22 -0700
To teach new users the basics of how our confocal works (before we get to
working with their samples) I use a kimwipe that has been marked with
several different fluorescent highlighters.  I mount a piece of the kimwipe
to a slide with permount under a #1.5 coverslip and it lasts almost forever.
It's incredibly bright, moderately thick (~90um), cheap to make, and 3D
rotations using a 10x objective show the fibers very nicely.  This teaching
slide idea was inspired by my colleagues "up the road" at AZ State
University with their Paper project < http://paperproject.org/>.

The kimwipe slide is not very effective to show two different wavelengths,
but it lets me talk about spectral bleedthrough/artifactual colocalization
issues and why the longer wavelength channel is usually noisier (PMT gain is
often twice that of the shorter wavelength).

The Invitrogen Fluocells slides (no commercial interest) are beautiful for
demos, but they are expensive.

H&E stained histologic sections fluoresce and I've been told that diatoms
(good for demonstrating DIC if your confocal has all the parts for it) are
autofluorescent.

Have fun.
Doug

Douglas W. Cromey, M.S. - Assistant Scientific Investigator
Dept. of Cell Biology & Anatomy, University of Arizona
1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ  85724-5044 USA

office:  AHSC 4212         email: [log in to unmask]
voice:  520-626-2824       fax:  520-626-2097

http://swehsc.pharmacy.arizona.edu/exppath/
Home of: "Microscopy and Imaging Resources on the WWW"