CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2009

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:02:53 +1300
7bit
From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
While I am all for analogies to convey the basis of complicated
processes to the ignorant, the analogy must be accurate. But in this
case, if a _scientist_ asks about bleaching from the triplet state why
does the explanation have to be dumbed down to such an (inaccurate)
level?  Surely the basis of chemical reactions in terms of electrons and
electron pairing should not be so unfamiliar after undergraduate physics
and chemistry?

A good explanation is given in Encyclopeda Britannica and should be
within the grasp of most I think.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/457736/photochemical-reaction/277509/Consequences-of-photoexcitation#ref=ref499215

Even if you can't remember the simple reason for more rapid oxidation
from the excited state (due to singlet oxygen production, I think, but
probably other possibilities also exist in complex molecular systems),
you point your undergraduates there rather than use horribly inaccurate
analogies. If nothing else, a reason to learn this explanation is that
it is the basis of life on earth as it explains how light can be
harnessed to chemical reactions!

Cheers Mark
P.S. Tobias, if you wonder why I object to your analogy it is because a
power surge does not involve switching off the computer!!!!