CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2009

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:55:36 +0100
7BIT
From:
Hi,

I have a PC with Win7 Beta (64 bit version) installed, and tried to install Leica LCS Lite (build
1538). (I never worked with Vista, because I did not see the benefits... In the meantime, I
hoped for better Linux hardware driver support, but it is still a pain in the...)

Results:

Normal call of the LeicaLCSlt.exe will just prompt me to "You need Windows XP or NT to
install...".

Then I tried to install LCS in the compatibility mode for XP - (right click on the installer, select
"Program compatibility issues", select "worked with earlier versions of windows", select XP),
and the installation seemed to work normally. I then restarted the computer, and when I tried
to open LCS I got the error message "LCS - The DataContainer could not be initialized! ...
DC error code: 1000"
I then went to the program folder of LCS and right-clicked onto the .exe- files (in the bin folder
and the DataContainer folders, 3 files total), called the "program compatibility" setup, told
Win7 to work like XP. Then I called LCS, and it started. Looks as if the boys at MS did their
homework in the end...
I don't have time to do in-depth-testing. Probably it is better to install the program either on a
real XP, or install a virtual environment like "VirtualBox" and use XP on the Vista machine.
On modern PCs with dual core cpus I see no performance difference. But it just works with
software, not with hardware drivers...

;-) Torsten