CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2009

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:59:30 +0100
Dear Christophe,

We had a very similar problem with one of our ASI stages (also using MM
software, but I think that's less critical). We also had the suspicion
that there was something wrong with the stability of the stage, then did
lots of measurements, then got the linear encoders cleaned et voila,
everything was fine again.
If you want to argue, the measurement you have to do is the following:
take a position on a slide with a target pattern or a pattern of beads.
Program the stage to move away from the original position and come back
to this position. Repeat in different directions from the origin.
Calculate the root mean square: Square all re-localization differences
to avoid negative values, then square root, then take the mean. At least
30 measurements was what I was told to do. Compare the value with the
specs of the stage.
We could not access the linear encoders for cleaning, because we had a
z-piezo version of the stage, so we had to send it in for cleaning. ASI
was kind enough to provide us with a replacement stage while they did
the cleaning. Excellent service, though it took us a while to convince
our system provider of the problem.

Good luck, jens.