CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2009

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:14:23 +0100
7bit
From:
"O'Toole, P" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Christian

To add to other comments. When using CFP and YFP in plant materials, it
can sometimes be better to use the 458nm laser line in preference to the
405 nm line. Despite the increased excitation of YFP from the 458, the
458 nm line helps to minimise autofluorescence in the plant material
that can mask low levels of CFP expression.  Still not perfect, but this
has helped when using Chameleon and other CFP experiments.

When spectral profiling CFP and YFP with autofluorescence, you may not
need to excite the YFP with the 514 nm line if the expression levels are
similar or greater than that of CFP. This will help balance the
intensities so that one probe does not dominate the spectral profiles.

Good luck

Peter

--
Dr Peter O'Toole