CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 16:48:27 +0100
From:
Steve Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Hi,

My guess is that this is to do with the availability of contiguous
address space rather than RAM. A 32-bit Windows computer makes 2 GB of
address space available to applications, this can be increased to 3 GB
with a switch in the boot.ini file. It doesn't matter how much RAM you
have (or don't have) in your computer, these are hard per-process
limits that date from when 2 GB of storage was an unimaginably large
amount that nobody would ever fill.

Unfortunately, the story gets even worse. The 2 (or 3) GB of address
space is not empty - Windows may load libraries at various points in
that address space, fragmenting it into smaller contiguous blocks. If
you perform operations that allocate and free memory, this may cause
further fragmentation. The upshot of this is that your process might
have 1.9 GB of free address space, but no blocks big enough to work
with your 600 MB dataset.

There are some strategies that you might try to get around this - I
would definitely check with Zeiss first though as they may not be
compatible with Zen!

* Increase the address space available to applications by using the /
3GB switch and by making sure the page file is big enough. There are
some instructions on our website that describe how to do this - they
apply to Volocity but should apply equally to Zen:

http://www.improvision.com/support/tech_notes/detail.php?id=356

* Restart the application just before starting the acquisition and
save immediately afterwards. This helps to ensure that address space
fragmentation is minimised.

Please note - I *really* would talk to Zeiss before changing the /3GB
switch. Increasing the address space for applications decreases the
space available for drivers. I would make sure that there will be no
driver issues on your system as a result of making this change and
that they have tested against this configuration.

In the end, the best solution for working with large datasets is a 64-
bit application running on a 64-bit operating system such as Windows
XP x64 or Vista x64. With 64-bit systems the address space available
to applications is generally limited only by available disk space and
this problem will go away. The challenge with 64-bit is that the OS,
application and all the drivers have to be 64-bit for everything to
work!

There's some more information on 64-bit here (the second link is
commercial interest!):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx
http://www.improvision.com/support/simon_vipoir/tips/detail.php?id=57

Cheers,

Steve

On 28 May 2009, at 12:12, Guy Cox wrote:

> By my rough calculation your stack will be ~600MB, so you would seem
> to have enough RAM to hold the image and a same-size buffer with
> plenty to spare.   So it looks like a software issue - maybe the
> program has allocated 1GB, which will not hold your stack twice
> over, so when it moves it from work-space to buffer there isn't
> enough room.  The 710 is a fairly new system so I guess there will
> be fairly frequent software upgrades, and your best bet would be to
> make sure Zeiss are aware of the issue.  Meanwhile, try other stack
> sizes till you find out the limit.
>
>                                       Guy
>

> Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
> by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
> Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
> Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
> University of Sydney, NSW 2006
> Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
> Mobile 0413 281 861
>     http://www.guycox.net

Steve Baxter
R&D CoE Leader
Improvision, a PerkinElmer Company
+44-2476-698115

Image Processing and Vision Company Limited (trading as Improvision)
is a company registered in England and Wales with company number
2505778.  VAT number GB536188722.