CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 11:57:55 -0400
7bit
From:
Alison North <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Lisa,

This is certainly a very difficult decision to make.  We had to go
through the same process in December so I feel your pain!  We bought the
Olympus system in the end and are extremely happy with it - it provides
all of the flexibility you need, with multiphoton and visible lasers,
and the ability to switch between the stand being optimized for live
animal work and for imaging slides.  That being said, we also very much
liked the LaVision, the Prairie and also the Zeiss 710 - which showed a
huge improvement over our old 510.  If you were only interested in
multiphoton imaging, the LaVision has certain advantages, but if you
need visible lasers too then I'm afraid it won't suit your purposes.
The Prairie is also a wonderful system, and we were even favourably
impressed by the software, which I had been led to believe might be less
suitable for a core facility.

I realize I'm not helping at all here - yes, you need to test the
systems for yourself (which you have clearly already done!), but in the
end you may also have to consider factors such as price and local
service in order to make your decision, because there are several
excellent multiphoton systems out there now.

Please feel free to contact me offline if you want to discuss our
decision process in more detail....
Best,
Alison

--