CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 23:45:24 +1000
From:
Adrian Smith <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
It was my understanding that the 25x is actually smaller (at least in
back aperture size) than the older 20x 0.95?

The beam delivery path, optics and objective mount on the LaVision
BioTec are all custom, ie if they don't already cope with the 25x I
suspect they could easily be made to do. Of course without an
objective to test who really knows :)

(Furthermore the sample stage is also custom, allowing easy
accommodation of the extra length)

I would actually like to see a comparison on the LaVision BioTec
system (or other custom system) of the older 20x Olympus objective
with the newer 25x objective. It was my understanding (and I may be
wrong as it was gleaned from interferences from Olympus competitors -
but supported indirectly by the fine print on at least one Olympus
objective brochure) that the Olympus systems could not fill the 20x
objective and hence that objective did not perform as well in laser
scanning application on a standard Olympus stand as it could have. I
think (again I may be wrong) that the customisations on the LaVision
BioTec system largely overcome that limitation. Therefore the
comparison would be interesting as I wonder how much of the
improvements shown in the Olympus marketing material are due to better
filling on the newer objective?

(bit like showing the effect of pre-chirp compensation by using a high
dispersion system as the base-line - makes the pre-chirp compensation
look extremely compelling :)

Regards,

Adrian