CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:42:36 -0500
From:
Jon Ekman <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
We have our own domain and IT staff, so users by default get access to
our file server after login. Our confocal users save directly to the
file server, right now we have 2 Leica Sp2s which are not very
sophisticated from a networking perspective. With all other systems,
users move their saved data to the file server at the end of their
session. We have several workstations for post processing which are
setup so users profiles are redirected to file server by default no
actual local profiles on the workstations. All systems have a local
partition just for editing large files. Users, are allowed to bring
their own disk (USB or Fire Wire). We will even allow direct network
connections to the users servers after a security review by IT staff.

We allow users to keep files on the servers until they leave the
university. We back up all data to two huge tape libraries. Data that
users delete is marked for permanent removal from backups after
90days. We only back up user data and very specific parts of our
system configurations and whatever modifications we had to make to get
the system to work in our network.

We don't add extra cost to usage for memory usage at this time. We
charge hourly for all people logged into a microscope and we charge
monthly for all people logged into our workstations.

Until recently, 6TB of storage for users was adequate for about 1,000
users. This hovered between 5TB to 5.8TB over the past year so we may
add more storage next year. We have another storage area that is the
same size for special users with unique storage needs mainly from our
micro, & nano CT machines, these people are assessed fees based on
their projects.

Data on local machines is allowed to stay until the user leaves the
university. We do ask them to clean up their local data as courtesy
but don't enforce it. We tend to just add more storage to the local
machine if it is needed. As for data removal, we created scripts that
search the university servers for status of a user, if the user is no
longer with the university their server profile and data are removed,
this script is run twice a year and users have 90days to contact us
and get their data after they leave the university. Before running the
script we will make an effort to contact the users on the list the
script generates.

If a research group builds a "group profile" with us, their data stays
until the PI of the group leaves the university, so if their grad
students and postdocs leave their data will remain as long as it is in
the group profile, their specific personal profiles are still removed
from elsewhere on our network.

Does this help?

On Jul 9, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Mike Tighe wrote:

> Would anyone be willing to share some of your Ideas on managing data
> generated on single and multi photon instruments? Do you allow users
> to move data directly to institute server? Has anyone tried to
> estimate the amount of data per person or per hour of usage that is
> generated. How often do you remove data from instrument computer?
> Any advice would be very useful!
>
> Thanks!!
> Mike

Jon Ekman