CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:50:24 +0200
From:
Daniel James White <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Hi Dale,

On Jul 11, 2009, at 7:03 AM, CONFOCALMICROSCOPY automatic digest
system wrote:

> Date:    Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:52:19 -0400
> From:    Dale Callaham <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: I.T. questions - mandated archiving question
>
> Dan,
>
> First, I completely agree with the open standards rant. The mandate
> should even flow from the government level, not allowing funding for
> devices and systems that use proprietary formats, etc.
>
> Now, you say in #1 that archiving data is a user responsibility (with
> which I agree), but then, in #5, that you are required by law to
> archive
> all data generated. Someone from Princeton said they are required to
> archive data for 7 years. I'm just curious. I can see a research
> institution or granting agency mandating the archiving of data, but
> would that be the responsibility of the PI to see that the data is
> archived?

Yes... the PIs are the ones who get the research funding and are
responsible
for the data getting archived.

However, as an imaging facility providing services to them, I think
its a good thing
to provide a consistent way of doing that,
using something like OMERO or a home brew mechanism.

Then everyone reads from the same song sheet, admin becomes easier,
and the data is archived (instead of that just not happening.)

> If they have their own instruments that would be the case. As
> you say we have enough to do (as underfunded facilities) providing the
> facilities for the imaging. Perhaps #5 was in reference to methods for
> archiving by the PI?

I think its a facility/institute job to provide working infrastructure
for data archiving,
and teach the users how to get the best from it.

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Senior Microscopist / Image Visualisation, Processing and Analysis
Light Microscopy and Image Processing Facilities
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 DRESDEN
Germany

+49 (0)15114966933 (German Mobile)
+49  (0)351 210 2627 (Work phone at MPI-CBG)
+49  (0)351 210 1078 (Fax MPI-CBG LMF)

http://www.bioimagexd.net 	BioImageXD
http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de Fiji 	Fiji is just ImageJ - Batteries Included
http://www.chalkie.org.uk