CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:19:54 +0100
7bit
From:
Colin Rickman <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

We use the Biotrue CDMS data management software on our server. This
allows simple upload and download and setting of permissions all in a
browser based presentation. This means it is OS independent and also
requires no instruction for end users on how to use it. I've tried the
OMERO server and agree with you about the format issue. I understand why
they are pushing the OME-TIFF format but I think user choice should be
maintained and additional file standards supported on the server. The
OMERO server software also seems to be more focused on server based
image analysis than a customisable data storage system. It's important
to remember though that it is only a beta.

Regarding your questions - I don't have any specific experience about
the server you mention but it should just work like any other. I would
install linux to make things easy and definitely by two servers at the
same time - backups need to start straight away. For the backups,
although we use Biotrue for archiving on the server, we still back up
the data on the hard drives in the same way you will need to do. It is
simple to do this using the rsync command in linux which looks for
differences between the backup and the original and copies over the
data. I have used this with some scripts to generate daily snapshot
backups, weekly backups and a monthly data archive which all run at
night when the server is quiet. The clever trick is to use hard links
which means that you store the whole data set only once and effectively
list which of those files are contained in each snapshot. This allows
the 11 "copies" I have on the backup server to only occupy the total
space of 1 copy. There is more info here:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ and if you want a
copy of my scripts just get in touch.

Hope that is of some help.

Colin

--
Dr Colin Rickman
Centre for Integrative Physiology

Tel: +44 131 6511512
Fax: +44 131 6503128

--
Dr Colin Rickman
Centre for Integrative Physiology
School of Biomedical Sciences
University of Edinburgh
Hugh Robson Building
George Square
Edinburgh
EH8 9XD

Tel: +44 131 6511512
Fax: +44 131 6503128

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.