CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:24:54 +0100
7bit
From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Shalin

NPL/HSE resolution test slide is for either dark field or phase contrast
microscopy

The UK's NPL laboratory originally made the NPL/HSE phase contrast
resolution slide. You focused onto the slide and a series of lines appeared.
The smallest one you could see was naturally the best Ph resolution at that
magnification. I bought mine back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, but
recently I've not seen them about that much [my old NPL phase slide is now
lost since our labs at Harwell folded].

http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/28/2/237.pdf
says it all about the slide

A while ago I had trouble locating one, but I see it's about again and easy
to obtain, e.g.
http://www.zefon.com/store/hse-npl-phase-shift-test-slide.html

and details are on NPL's website:
http://www.npl.co.uk/reference/faqs/what-is-an-npl-hse-test-slide-and-where-
can-i-obtain-one-(faq-length)

We used the slide as we were heavily involved in asbestos and glass fibre
durability/toxicology studies, and it's pretty essential for asbestos
monitoring to ensure your microscope is up to detecting the fibres.

Regards

Keith

Dr Keith J. Morris,
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core,
Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford  OX3 7BN,
United Kingdom.

Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568