CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:36:04 -0400
Hi Simon,

It all depends on the application and the final goals.
If you are working under conditions of high overexpression, that it doesn't
matter much. However, if you would be using weak promoters, create cell lines
expressing a fusion protein of interest, then many things become important.

For example, I would use CeFP fusion protein as a reference or as a fusion to
relatively abundant proteins in the cell (e.g. actin, tubulin, histones, etc).

YFP channel is very good, in relation to SNR, but I may suggest a fusion to
tandem, 2x_EYFP or 2x_venusYFP (with one or all three monomeric mutations). For
the red channel mCherry (or mRFP1 fused to the N- and C-terminal peptides of
GFP origin), like in mCherry. If your expression vectors are of viral origin,
or if you may suspect aberrant splicing artefacts in your model system, then
M10L version of mCherry will solve the problem (i.e. contamination by free,
unfused mCherry).

Autofluorescence is a serious obstacle in low light microscopy, thus I would
recommend adapting your cell cultures to OPTI-MEM media with 2-3% FCS.

Many others proteins are either less soluble or di- through tetramers, may
suffer from the low quantum yield, low SNR, etc.

Recently, there were few papers on new FPs which sounded interesting, but
nothing alike "supersonic"....
mCherry, especially in its 2x tandem variant is still a "trouble-maker" (has a
tendency to form aggregates as fusion to a number of proteins tested myself in
vivo), and I doubt that mCherry is monomeric under conditions of
overexpression - in a simple BiFC experiment where mCherry was fused to split
YFP (mCherry_ny and mCherry-cy), YFP signal reconstitution is as
quick_and_strong as in the positive control (CD8_ny plus CD8-cy; and CD8 is
known to live as a dimer).

If you have any further questions, please contact me off-line.

Vitaly
NCI-Frederick,
301-846-6575