CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:34:47 +1000
Ah, yes, in an ideal world some of this might happen, but it won't happen
here.  Our IT folk, as in many places, are in an understaffed and overworked
department.

I don't think saving data to one place and copying to another is such a big
deal, the network is pretty fast.  At least you then have two copies of the
data.  Perhaps if we had really huge multi-TB sized data sets it'd be a
problem, but not yet.  Our flakiest instruments can't be networked anyway.

And compared to the months and years and people power it's taken to develop
and process the biological materials (plants in our case) to be imaged, the
time taken for imaging and data transfer is negligible.  The subsequent
image and statistical analysis also takes much longer than collection of the
original images.

cheers,
Rosemary