CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:54:14 -0400
It's a good question and I think Shalin and Claire have given good
answers already. Perhaps there is a way to determine on the fly
during an experiment if you are indeed saturating the fluorescence
signal in any parts of the cell, but without that knowledge you could
be doing damage to the cells. Generally, it has been my experience,
and also it was emphasized many times at Jim Pawley's live-cell
microscopy course that I attended a few years ago, that the products
of photobleaching are toxic to the cell, and so using as little light
as possible is preferred so long as you can compromise with a longer
exposure time or increased detector gain and still get an acceptable
SNR for the phenomenon you're trying to observe. That being said,
there may be situations where you are trying to observe a fast
dynamic process in the cell by time-lapse imaging which necessitates
short exposure times and using a larger laser power to get a good SNR
again. As I understand it, some of the super-resolution imaging
techniques even depend on the non-linear effects of fluorescence
saturation to achieve imaging resolution below the diffraction limit,
so there are a few times when a larger laser power might be called for.
So, I would say there is no one definite recipe for all imaging
situations, but keeping the cells alive on the microscope stage is a
priority. Jennifer Waters has a very nice recent review on "Accuracy
and Precision in Light Microscopy" in the Journal of Cell Biology
where  she rightly points out that it's up to the experimenter to
test and figure out the optimum settings of acquisition and perform
the proper control experiments to back up the interpretation results
of an imaging experiment.

John Oreopoulos