CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2009

From:
Alison North <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:00:37 -0400
Hi Guosheng,

We find the same problem occurs with our Zeiss 510Meta if you turn up
the power on the argon laser too quickly - it just cuts out.  So, if you
hit the re-use button while the laser is on standby or minimum power,
this could certainly cause it to cut out.  Likewise, if you change users
the power will have switched back to standby when the first one logs
off.  The critical thing seems to be to turn the laser from standby to
on, and then to slowly increase the power click by click, rather than
dragging it up fast with the slider.  I wonder whether you will find you
solve the problem by turning up the power on the laser BEFORE clicking
on the re-use button?

Of course, if you've never encountered this problem before, it is more
likely to be that the laser is simply getting old...

Best,
Alison

--
Alison J. North, Ph.D.,