CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2010

From:
Axel Kurt Preuss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:32:04 +0800
Dear Maria
You ll probably have to lower the probenecid dose to maybe half or less, and play a little with its concentration. All you want is to prevent dye extrusion  at MINIMUM physiological cost of probenecid to the cells.

I suggest   Loading medium: Add an equal volume of 2X Fluo4 Direct reagent
without a quarter or fifth of the Probenecid you normally use  to cells containing culture medium (0%FCS) (1:1).

-         Incubate the cells for 30min at 37ºC

-         Remove cell medium for fresh medium without (I would actually add a percent or half of FCS to give a sharper set inhibition of  enzyme activity, give the sells some nutrient , and allow them to experience a    a small Ca reversible Ca boost to "wake them up" before you start officially measuring Ca ). For measurements you can remove FCS again.

 Rationale: you have to get rid of the fluo 4 to prevent compartimentalisation (medium exchange after 30 min loading time OK), to get    as little as possible fluo-4 as reactive as possible. Your experiment without probenecid was actually quite well.  And that at minimum probenecid necessary.

Alternatively, you could incubate a little longer with fluo 4 to raise a little its concentration (incubating 35 min), and add probenecid (fifth of your concentration used )  10 min after you started loading your cells, and maybe keep it during Ca recording.

I hope it helps

Thanks

Axel   Astar IMCB Central Imaging  , Singapore