CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2010

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:41:33 +0200
From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Javier,

I only came across your e-mail today. And since
you apparently didn't get a lot of answers so far...

The easiest test specimen is probably some
interface of water and glas or water and plastic:
big Ri-mismatch = strong THG signal.

I use water in a petri dish or on a glass slide
to check that our excitation beam is well
centered, since it provides a uniform signal. If
you need a signal in xy-direction, you should be
able to get it by adding a coverslip to the
water, so that you can image the edge of the cover slip.

If you draw lines on the surface with a black
marker pen, it will help to focus in ordinary
brightfield illumination, so that it is easier to find the focal plane in THG.

If you want to get more fancy, you can use a thin
muscle tissue (striated muscle gives nice
signals, see our paper J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 15,
026017 (2010); doi:10.1117/1.3374337) or a
fat-water emulsion between coverslip and slide,
such as condensed milk or sunscreen, you get the
idea. (yes, we've tried that too :-) )

Hope it helps,

Steffen

At 19:22 05.08.2010, you wrote:

>Hello Lister,
>Hope all are doing well.
>
>  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>
>Can anyone please offer me suggestions for
>a test sample (a handy)for imaging THG in transmission?
>
>Cheers
>Javier
>

>                     Javier F. Adur, Ph.D.
>
>Research Center in Optical and Fotonic (CEPOF)
>
>      Biomedical Lasers Application Laboratory
>
>            IFGW - UNICAMP - BRASIL

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room:
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location: