CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2010

Sender:
From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:47:39 +0200
Dear Bill,

(all of the following are rough numbers and statements:) with a standard
all solid state laser system you will be save for about 5kHours or
3years, and running the system in a clean and well conditioned
environment, you do not expect to adjust the system more often than once
a year (if at all). The current cost to replace one laser are 20k$,
expected to cost less in 3 years from now. Strong fluctuations in
intensity are a sign of the laser dying, you would  typically realize
shortly  -two weeks or some hours- before the end.  A skilled engineer
will be able to replace a laser, though it is not typically done by a
user. You would need a suitable power-meter to efficiently couple the
laser. You can ask the manufacturer to guarantee a max down time.  You
can also try to negotiate an extended warranty from the manufacturer to
find out how far he trusts his product ;-)
You may want to check if you rather want to invest in a nearby
microscopy service facility, running several systems, so you would be
sure at any time to have access to a working system.

My best wishes, jens