CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2010

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:02:18 +1000
It's a bit challenging to disagree with Mark but .... we are interested
in signal over noise.  Opening the pinhole beyond the diameter of the
Airy disk will let in a little more signal (from the outer rings) and a
LOT more noise.  In almost every case it will make things worse.
Photons are precious - if they come from where we want - other photons
are something we need to exclude at all costs.

As to the question about 3 sections - Mark is quite right, of course, if
we are dealing with a thick sample, but if I've followed this thread
correctly we are dealing with thin cells where the information is
largely in one plane.  If this is so we should be able to do pretty good
deconvolution with 3 sections.

                                                      Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006

Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
             Mobile 0413 281 861
      http://www.guycox.net