CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2010

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:49:11 +1200
7bit
From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Guy

I'm going to have to disagree with some of what you said because we are
talking about live cell imaging. As I'm sure we all know, opening the
pinhole has a big effect on z resolution and that is the main reason why
signal goes up in 3D objects (adding the wings of the in plane Airy disk
alone only adds about 25% signal).  It's the increase in the size of the
sampled volume that generates more signal.  Now I can see that you think
of an out of focus object as a "noise" generator, and in that sense I
agree with you, but if we are talking about thin cells how many bright
well out of focus objects are there?  I really don't think you can say
that opening the pinhole will let in a LOT more "noise "(your definition
here) unless you know what the object really is. There is always a trade
off  between S/N and resolution, so if you can take a reduction in
resolution you will be able to turn the lasers down and that is what
this thread started with -keeping cells alive.

I'm quite inflexible in my view on this, the correct _live cell_
solution is to open the pinhole until the x,y,z resolution is as low as
you can accept and then get the needed S/N with minimum laser power
-this is what we teach on the live cell course in Vancouver -it's all
about the keeping the cell healthy while getting just enough information
to answer the experimental question (and not minimizing "noise" per se.).

Yes, I agree with you that if the object z extent is << PSFz, you have
enough information to get a reasonable solution to the convolution
problem. But in that special case I suggest you don't need a confocal at
all! For very thin objects a WF microscope with a good CCD (+/-
deconvolution) will give a better result than a confocal (even with the
pinhole wide open as the confocal detector/optics are less efficient).

But in most other cases, a confocal is used to reject significant out of
focus light (as you seem acknowledge in your description of  "noise"
increasing with pinhole diameter) and that contribution cannot be
properly defined by just 3 planes within the PSF (that's sometimes
called "nearest neighbours deconvolution" -but it's not a correct
solution to the deconvolution problem). Now you may use some simple
software to take the 3 planes of data to increase contrast and reduce
noise in the center plane but the image is not _deconvolved_ at all but
rather "deblurred"   I think this is the case because it is not possible
to _know_  that all _out of focus_ information has been correctly
estimated with just 3 planes -and that is because of _photon noise_.

For an intuitive approach I like to think of it this way, if 3
planes(=samples) can only supply enough information to solve the spatial
problem (2 for Nyquist plus 1 for outside plane of focus generated
signal), what extra information is available to identify/control noise?
If you sketch a problem as 1D on a piece of paper one can see how all
the information in 3 planes is used for the spatial problem (e.g. if the
object is A.sin(wx)+B you have 3 unknowns A, B, w so you need 3
samples). Now if you add Poisson noise so that you know that the mean is
equal to the variance, how do you get an estimate of the mean when all
the variance in your 3 samples is already assigned to the equation
variables you just solved?  From this I think it's clear why noise
introduces a problem and kills the 3 plane deconvolution solution for an
extended object. Let me be quite clear here, having extra information
planes can always help improve the in plane image (I call it
"deblurring" or "denoising" depending on the intent/method of the
processing) but it is not possible to actually deconvolve until
sufficient information has been captured to solve the spatial problem
_and_ get some estimate of noise.  On the other hand, if the problem is
so constrained that you  _know_ there is no data outside the plane of
focus (so that you have all the information needed to solve the
noise/spatial problem with 3 planes -and on this I think we agree) then
you shouldn't be using a confocal anyway IMO.

Cheers Mark