CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2010

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:46:48 +1000
From:
Yes, your post came through.  I didn't comment because at the time I was
embroiled in an off-list debate with Mark Cannell on the same topic.
(It seems our differences were largely terminology - he regards setting
the pinhole at 1 Airy unit to be opening it up whereas I regard that as
keeping it closed!)

As to your post, I just cannot accept that deconvolution is 'essential'.
It may give you a prettier picture, and at best it may well show you
things that you couldn't see before, which has obvious value.  But the
downside is that you end up with an image that is non-quantifiable, and
to me that is a big sacrifice.  I use deconvolution, and have even
written simple deconvolution software, but I cannot accept that it is
essential.

                                           Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006

Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
             Mobile 0413 281 861
      http://www.guycox.net